Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Geez! The politics!!

Ok - the music world in Arizona is VERY small but tonight it got smaller and even pettier! Here's the scoop - I teach private voice lessons as many of you know. I have some GREAT students that are extremely talented! I LOVE what I do - even when I'm tired of working! I music direct shows as well. I am getting my name out there and I'm LOVING the work! I already have a show (Camelot at HALE in 2008) lined up and I'm hoping for more but who knows? Well, I've found that I get new students from almost every show I do. In fact, I even have new students from audience that come and see my work. Very complimentary! I've felt very good about my abilities and talents and have many recommendations from great teachers and mentors who believe in me as well.
Well . . . tonight I received a call (from whom will remain nameless but I will say it was a shock, not someone I talk to very often) telling me that they thought I should know that it was talked about at the cast party that I was upset that Linsey (a teacher who was in the show) has 2 of the guys from the show in her voice studio. I AM NOT UPSET!! I was only disappointed that the guys did not contact me after they inquired about my studio. They both emailed and asked about cost and openings, etc. but then I never heard back. Yes - I would have LOVED to have them as students but I am just glad they are taking lessons. GEEZ!! I don't want people talking about me behind my back! I don't want people thinking I'm mad at them - especially Linsey, she's a friend! And truth be known - I don't have any openings anyway! I took on 4 new students from this show already and I have very little time.
Anyway, I don't worry about that as much as this - the call was to tell me that one of my students CONFIRMED it. AAAHHH!!! I have contacted this student to set things straight but my land! I NEVER said this!! I just said that I would like to have them as students - that's it!! I guess it's time for me to just shut-up. No more talking to my students like friends, no more treating them as equals. I'm now the teacher and they are the student - has to be professional now. UG!!

2 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

Drama, Drama, drama, but then again you love the theatre!

Theatrechic9 said...

Tell me about it. I hate things like this. I've been in your shoes and it sucks. People who know you, though, should know that's not how you think.